Monday, December 12, 2011

not HAPPINESS but JOY

Everything at once seems so simple and so complicated.

It's simple because all it takes is a change of attitude : I'm not going to look for happiness anymore. From now on, I'm independent, I see life through my eyes and not through other people's. I'm going in search of the adventure of being alive.

And its complicated : Why am I not looking for happiness when I am taught that happiness is the only goal worth pursuing? Why am I going to risk taking a path that no one else is taking?

After all, what is happiness?

Love, they tell me. But love doesn't bring and has never brought happiness. On the contrary, it's a constant state of anxiety, a battlefield, it's sleepless nights, asking ourselves all the time if we're doing the right thing. Real love is composed of ecstasy and agony.

Then Peace, may be. If we look at the Mother Nature, she's never at peace. The winter does battle with the summer, the sun and the moon never meet, the tiger chases the man, who's afraid of the dog, who chases the cat, who chases the mouse, who frightens the man.

Money brings happiness. Fine. In that case, everyone who earns enough to have a high standard of living would be able to stop work. But then they're more troubled than ever, as if they were afraid of losing everything. Money attracts money, that's true. Poverty might bring unhappiness, but money won't necessarily bring happiness.

All that I look for in life, is not happiness but joy. Joy of being in a place at that particular moment, joy of involving in an activity at that particular moment, joy of being with a person at that particular moment; because life is meant to be alive in every moment than living every moment to make a single one look alive

The above article is an extract from the book "The Witch of Portobello" with the concluding paragraph from my desk.

2 comments:

  1. Nice Job!

    Love brings ecstasy and agony, correct!

    Peace, brings the calmness within, there might be a turmoil around but you might be at ultimate peace. I think so worth it.

    Money doesnt bring happiness but provides an excellent medium to be sad. I rather cry in a BMW than in a auto rickshaw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Job!

    Love brings ecstasy and agony, correct!

    Peace, brings the calmness within, there might be a turmoil around but you might be at ultimate peace. I think it's so worth it.

    Money doesnt bring happiness but provides an excellent medium while am sad. I rather cry in a BMW than in a auto rickshaw.

    ReplyDelete